Sunday, May 3, 2009

Crickets in a Box, AHHHHH!

So every Friday Oakley has a project due. It started out as book reports and progressed from there. Some of the projects have been pretty time intensive, at least for mom, and I've complained about them a lot throughout the year. Well this past week was definitely the craziest one his teacher has come up with yet (notice I say yet because there are still 3 weeks left, who knows what else we're going to have to do).
The project this week was Crickets in a box, yup, real live crickets. I went to PetsMart and bought four crickets, one of which was squished before we even made it home. Oakley put some grass and rocks into a shoe box. Matt looked crickets up on the Internet and found out they like to eat crushed up dog food (who knew?) and we should put wet cotton balls in a small bowl for them to drink. We cut three holes in the box and covered them with plastic wrap so that Oakley could watch the crickets. Then we introduced the crickets to their new home. I taped the top of the box on because I wasn't real excited about the idea of living with crickets in my house. I guess his teacher knows how to make a kindergartner happy though because Oakley was thrilled! And now he's so excited to have his own pets. I think they're still alive although Lexi says the box really stinks. I guess I'll have to let them open the box tomorrow (outside) and make sure they still have food and water. Fun Days!

2 comments:

Heats said...

Let's not tell Livvy about this project. I still can't believe the classroom didn't keep the crickets!

Jenn C. said...

You are brave. I have never heard of that kind of project. My kids like to bring lady bugs inside and I can handle those but I would not do well with crickets.